Saturday, June 8, 2013

Should I be concerned?



Should I be concerned that my 2-year-old, Kymee, doesn't say many words and is hard to understand?

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/toddler-speech-development/AN01940

Not when she's this cute


But ...
Sometimes it's so hard to know if Kymee's speech is "normal" 2 almost 3 year old, or if there really is a problem. I listen to her every day - so I probably understand her more than others do. So, I decided to research it. 


Answer

from Jay L. Hoecker, M.D.
If you're unable to understand any of your 2-year-old's words, talk to your child's doctor about scheduling an evaluation. Done Speech delay can be an early sign of other developmental issues.So true
Although every child grows and develops at his or her own pace, toddler speech development tends to follow a fairly predictable path. For example, the average 2-year-old:
  • Speaks at least 50 words Yes, but not necessarily understandable words
  • Links two words together, such as "my cup" or "no juice", Yes
  • Speaks clearly enough for parents to understand some of the words Yes - well maybe me more than Nelson, then again Nelson doesn't always understand what our 15 year old is saying
      The average 3-year-old:
  • Speaks 250 to 500 or more words Not there yet - but somewhere between 50 and 250
  • Speaks in three- and four-word sentences Just starting this
  • Correctly uses pronouns (I, me, you, mine) Uses all of these, but not correctly
  • States first name Sometimes, sometimes when we ask "What is your name?" She answers "Two" and holds up two fingers
  • Speaks clearly enough for strangers to understand much of the time NO In fact, I can't understand her most of the time if she's sitting in the car seat and it isn't in context
So, I think speech therapy and age has brought Kymee more into "normal" range, but I don't think she is quite there yet. There are still letters she doesn't say, and strangers who don't understand her - but she's not supposed to speak to strangers anyway. 

So my question is  should I be concerned? 

No comments:

Post a Comment