Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Say "Moooo"

Amanda, "What does the cow say?"
 "The cow says moooo"
"Say 'moooo'"



 "What does the lion say"
Kymee, "Grrrrrrrr"
Amanda, "Grr, good"


                                              

I watched on a TV monitor from a cubby-hole in the video observation room as Kymee and her new speech therapist played alone in a therapy room. I realized I was paying $25/hr for a graduate student to sit on the floor and name objects, a task I perform daily for free.

I have no idea why, but watching Kymee interact with the therapist, was spell-binding. Best TV I've seen for a while. Don't ask me why it was entertaining to watch when she shook her head and said "no" when asked to exchange her plastic lion for a red fire truck, but it was. Even Andres couldn't keep his eyes off the monitor and read his book, and laughed out loud as Kymee loaded her baskets with the four-legged creatures instead of willingly being redirected by Amanda. She enjoyed loading and unloading these small critters into the baskets, and when forced to play with the "red fire truck" and "yellow school bus" (as Amanda labeled them) she insisted on lining the vehicles up perfectly on the table. Slightly OCD, or maybe just a melancholy.

I prided myself on the fact that she never once threw a fit, or screamed in frustration, and only hit Amanda twice. I almost feel sorry for Amanda, after one hour of Kymee time, she believes her to be a "quiet" little girl whose one true love in life is manufactured barnyard animals. But, as far as first impressions go, Kymee made a good one. Hope the graduate student isn't too disillusioned when the real Kymee shows up.









No comments:

Post a Comment